Ad

Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Pumpkin Tortellini Alfredo

My apologies for the delay in posting my first pumpkin recipe of the season.  I sort of put it off for two reasons:

1.  It was just...eh.  It was mediocre and could use some tweaking, and I was debating posting a "just okay" recipe. 

2.  This past week was ridiculously insane and I didn't cook a single thing.  You see, MY BEST FRIEND IN THE ENTIRE WORLD GOT MARRIED this past weekend, and I of course had my maid of honor duties to fulfill.  I have to say, it was truly the best wedding I have ever been to (I overheard quite a few people say the same thing...) and I am so over the moon happy for my bestie.  They head out for their honeymoon this morning, so I can't wait to have an hours-long phone conversation with her when she gets back!! 

So, like I said.  This recipe is okay.  I was expecting so much more and was just a little disappointed in how it turned out.  I followed the recipe exactly, but it was just missing something.  I haven't had a chance to tweak it up (and believe me, I want to play around with this one, because it has so much potential!), but it just needs more pumpkin, flavor, something.  

Don't get me wrong, it wasn't disgusting by any means, and it was a decent quick meal to throw together after work.  I think next time I'll add a bit more pumpkin, more parmesan, maybe some bacon or prosciutto, roasted garlic, and some sage.  But here's the recipe I followed.  I also added the rest of the rotisserie chicken I used from the last recipe...just shredded it up and threw it in the sauce with the pasta.  I steamed up some fresh broccoli and served it on the side as well.

I have to say that Mr. Garrett only had a couple of bites of this.  When I cooked it, he worked super late and wasn't that hungry when he got home.  The weekend sort of got away from us, so I was the one who ate the leftovers for lunch the next couple of work days.  So, sorry I can't give his opinion on it! :(  
My opinion:  I just wanted more pumpkin, and more flavor.  

P.S.   I'm not even sharing the pictures because they looked so....blah.
*********************************************************************************
Pumpkin Tortellini Alfredo
adapted from Handle the Heat
Ingredients:
2 9-oz packages cheese tortellini
1 Tbsp butter or margarine
1/2 small onion or small shallot, chopped
1/2 cup canned pumpkin puree
pinch of nutmeg
1 1/4 cups heavy cream (I used fat free half and half)
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/2 pre-cooked rotisserie chicken, shredded (optional)
black pepper to taste

1.  Bring a large pot of water to a boil.  Add tortellini and cook according to package directions.  Reserve 1/2 cup pasta water.  Drain pasta.

2.  While pasta is boiling, heat butter in a large skillet over medium high heat.  Add onion and cook until slightly soft, about 2 minutes.  Add pumpkin and nutmeg and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.  Stir in cream and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to medium low and simmer for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Stir in cheese and cook until thick, about 1 minute more.

3.  Add tortellini and chicken to the skillet and stir into the sauce, adding reserved pasta water if necessary.  Serve topped with additional cheese.  

No comments:

Post a Comment