Ad

Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Crockpot Chicken Cheesesteak Sandwiches

Fall has finally arrived in nasty, humid, muggy Florida.  I'm told it's only for a couple of days, but today the temperatures finally dipped below 80 and it's so lovely to sit on the front porch and write.  I really hope this lasts, because I have a lot of boots, sweaters and scarves in my closet that are very lonely and calling my name.

So since the last recipe I shared was kind of a dud, I thought I'd share a much better one.  I've made this twice in the past 2 weeks.  Last week it was proclaimed Garrett's favorite, when he said "if I got this in a restaurant, I would order another one."  I made it again last night, as it's probably the easiest thing to put together, and he said he could probably eat it every day.  I found the recipe for Crockpot Cheesesteak Pulled Chicken on How Sweet It Is (one of my favorite food blogs!).  I halved the original recipe, because our Crockpot is on the small side, but it was the perfect amount for the two of us, with some leftovers for lunch the next day.  Last week, I sliced some sweet potatoes into fries, tossed in olive oil, salt and pepper, and baked on a cookie sheet at 450 for about 30 minutes.  Last night, we went old school with some tater tots.  This recipe literally takes 5 minutes to throw in the Crockpot and tastes amazing.  Enjoy!
*********************************************************************************
Crockpot Chicken Cheesesteak Sandwiches
Serves 2 (plus some leftovers)
Adapted from How Sweet It Is

Ingredients:
1 green bell pepper, sliced
1 large sweet onion, sliced
3 boneless, skinless chicken thighs (or breasts)
2-3 cloves garlic
4 oz beer (whatever you have in the fridge- I used Amber Bock)
salt
pepper
smoked paprika
4-6 oz shredded cheddar cheese (or your favorite type of cheese)
Kaiser sandwich buns (from the grocery store bakery)

1.  Layer sliced green peppers and onions in the bottom of your Crockpot.  Top with garlic.  
2.  Season chicken thighs with salt, pepper, and paprika.  Place on top of onions and peppers.
3.  Pour beer over chicken, peppers and onions and cook on high for 6 hours.
4.  Around 4 hours, start to shred the chicken with 2 forks and stir into the sauce. 
5.  After 6 hours, use a ladle to drain any excess liquid (I saved mine and froze it for next time!).  Stir in cheese. 
6.  Serve on toasted buns with desired condiments (we love mayo!) and top with extra cheese. 

I promise I'm not a drunk, but I might have finished this beer...before noon.  

It's not photogenic.  But it's tasty.


No comments:

Post a Comment